Ever take the time to plan or do something nice for somebody just because? Didn’t you feel GREAT afterwards? Well, what if we told you that you could lift someone’s spirits again almost instantly and not have to do too much work to get there? The next time you see someone who could use a pick-me-up, or if you’re just feeling generous, here are 11 easy ways to spread a smile:
- Give a compliment. This only takes a few seconds to do, but the feeling it gives the recipient can last a lot longer than that. If you like the way someone’s hair looks, love their outfit, or think they’re doing a great job at something, be sure to let them know.
- Say thank you. Letting someone know that you’re thankful for what they’ve done for you is huge – whether it be your waitress, the cashier at the grocery store, or a coworker, make sure they know that their actions haven’t gone unnoticed and that you appreciate their hard work and efforts.
- Keep a smile on your face. Smiling is contagious, and if others see your happiness and positivity, it can certainly spread to them too! As you go throughout your day, don’t forget to smile at everyone you see, and even throw in a “hello” or “good morning” as you pass by.
- Bring food. Stopping for breakfast on the way to work? Keep your coworkers in mind and bring them something as well so that you can all enjoy the morning together! Or, if you have a friend or family member that’s going through a tough time, bake them their favorite dessert and deliver it to them personally (food can be the key to everyone’s heart).
- Write a letter. In a world where technology surrounds us each and every day, most of us communicate through texts, tweets and emojis. But, that doesn’t mean the power of handwritten notes isn’t still alive! If there’s someone you haven’t spoken to in a while, write them a letter to see how they’re doing.
- Send a video. You simply can’t not smile when watching a cute cat or dog video, so if there’s one that you watch regularly to lift your own spirits, send the link to someone that you know needs some love.
- Hold the door open. If you see someone entering or leaving a store after you, do them a favor and hold the door open until they’ve passed through. This is especially appreciated by those who have a lot in their hands already and parents who may be juggling a few kids and a stroller.
- Lend a hand. We could all use a little help every now and then, so when you see someone struggling with something on their own, offer to assist!
- Listen. You’d be surprised at how far giving someone your full attention can go. The world may be filled with a ton of distractions today, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take the time to focus on a single conversation!
- Send flowers. If you want to say thank you, congratulate someone, or do something nice just because, there’s a floral arrangement for that. You can have one delivered to your recipient’s door or deliver it in person – either way, we know they’ll be surprised.
- Pay It Forward. Whether you do something as small as paying for someones coffee or as large as paying their restaurant bill, that small gesture will not only make them feel great, but you as well! One of the best parts about paying it forward is trying to keep it going, so include a note or message with your gift that says “Now it’s your turn to pay it forward!”.
See? It truly doesn’t take too much time and effort to spread a little happiness among your friends, family, coworkers, and even people you don’t know. What will you do first?