Fun Flower Facts

Your Guide To Poisonous Flowers

May 30, 2016

Flowers are a stunning addition to homes and gardens, but just like there are plants you should stay away from, there are also a select few flowers that humans shouldn’t consume. Since it can be rather difficult to tell at first glance that a flower is poisonous, though, we’re here to provide some of our expert insight on which flower species you shouldn’t eat; take a look at our guide to poisonous flowers below.

Daffodils

  • Where they grow: Daffodils grow in temperate and Mediterranean-type climates and naturally thrive on the edge of forests and mountainsides.
  • What’s poisonous: All parts of a daffodil are toxic.
  • Symptoms: When swallowed, poisoning from daffodils may result in mouth irritations, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Daffodils- poisonous for humans to eat

Hydrangeas

  • Where they grow: Hydrangeas grow best in areas with rich, porous and moist soils; they also prefer an environment with full morning sun and some afternoon shade.
  • What’s poisonous: The buds and the leaves of hydrangeas are toxic.
  • Symptoms: When ingested, hydrangeas can cause stomach pain, headache, dizziness, vomiting and trouble breathing. In certain situations, these symptoms may be delayed.

Blue Hydrangea Flowers

Lilies-of-the-Valley

  • Where they grow: A lily-of-the-valley is a perennial flower that is typically found in areas of the Northern Hemisphere that have a temperate climate.
  • What’s poisonous: All parts of a lily-of-the-valley are toxic.
  • Symptoms: Eating a lily-of-the-valley can cause poisoning that results in digestive problems, blurry vision, confusion, rashes and heart trouble – specifically an irregular heartbeat.

Morning Glories

  • Where they grow: Morning glories are native to tropical America, though they may be found in regions with a subtropical or temperate environment.
  • What’s poisonous: The seeds of morning glories are toxic.
  • Symptoms: Eating morning glory seeds can result in anything from diarrhea to hallucinations. Blurred vision and confusion have also been reported.

Morning Glory Blue Flowers

Peonies

  • Where they grow: Peonies will typically grow anywhere that has full sun and well-drained soil.
  • What’s poisonous: The roots, flowers and seeds of peonies are toxic.
  • Symptoms: If peonies are ingested, poisoning may cause nausea, diarrhea, skin irritation, tremors and an accelerated heartbeat.

Pink Peonies

Tulips

  • Where they grow: Native to mountainous regions, tulips are most commonly found in places that have dry summers and cold winters.
  • What’s poisonous: The leaves, stems, roots and berries are all toxic, with the bulbs containing the greatest amount of toxic chemicals.
  • Symptoms: Poisoning from eating tulips may cause skin and mouth irritation, as well as abdominal upset and dizziness.

Colorful tulips

 

How To Protect Yourself From Poisonous Flowers

Similar to how you would protect yourself from poisonous plants, an easy way for us humans to protect ourselves from poisonous flowers is to not touch or eat anything that we aren’t familiar with. Even if a flower looks like something you have planted in your own backyard, and even if the flower is planted in your own backyard, the safest thing to do is never eat it and if you’ll be touching it, make sure your skin is properly covered so that there is no direct contact.